More Beautiful People!
This post is for my Secret Project, Misfits, which I guess technically isn’t so secret any more since I’ve been talking about it a little bit on my social media. Essentially, it’s a middle-grade magical school fantasy novel–my short pitch for it is, “What Harry Potter would have been like if it had been about Squibs instead of witches and wizards.” (Which doesn’t help if you haven’t read the books, I suppose…)
It’s about a preteen girl, Epiphany Starr Scott, who has grown up thinking that she is the only Normal in her entire (large and loud) magical family for generations. Then, she accidentally makes a drawing come to life and attack a bully at school a few days before the beginning of Thanksgiving break. Because of this, she is sent to Saint Getrude’s School for Misfits, for kids who, for whatever reason, have powerful magic that is not easily controlled. There, she makes friends with the siblings Mozz and Amber Rose, the loner Eli Craven, and the cranky gargoyle guardian Fen. When strnage magical noises become concerning to Fen, and students begin to mysteriously vanish, it’s up to Pip and her friends to unearth a sinister plot unfolding in the school’s cellars.
I love it to death and have been having an absolute blast writing it (even though it keeps growing on me!)
- How did you come up with this character? I love the name Epiphany, and played around with pairing it with different names before settling with Starr as the middle and Scott as the last name. This is one of the first times I’ve built a character from their name first.
- Have they ever been starving? Why? And what did they eat to break the fast? Not literally starving.
- Do they have a talent or skill that they’re proud of? Pip is fabulous at sketching. She loves and adores it–until one of her drawings accidentally comes alive. After that, even though she has to draw sometimes just to scratch the itch, she has a difficult time enjoying it as much as she once did.
- List 3 things that would make them lose their temper. Bullies. Injustice. People misusing power that has been entrusted to them.
- What is their favourite type of weather? Least favorite? Pip hates the rain, but adores snow.
- What is their Hogwarts house and/or MBTI personality? She would totally be a Ravenclaw. I’m not sure about her MBTI–maybe an INFP?
- Are they more likely to worry about present problems, or freak out about the unknown future? Given that her future is fairly up in the air at the moment–her becoming a useful member of the magical society requires her to master her insane magic–I’d say it’s fairly certain she’s more freaked out about the future.
- What is their favourite thing to drink? Orange soda.
- What is their favourite color? Least favorite? She loves teal–her hair is even dyed teal! Her least favorite color would be hot pink.
- What is a book that changed their life? I don’t know how incredibly life-changing it can be considered, but her illustrated version of the Beatrix Potter stories inspired her to begin drawing as a child.